How to Get Rid of Cockroaches in Your Coffee Maker
January 06, 2023
By Hawx Pest Control
Cockroaches can hide in many different areas of your home, especially in dark places that provide food, water, and a safe place to shelter, like kitchens and bathrooms. Cockroaches living in a coffee maker might sound strange, but it’s not as unusual as you might think. If you find cockroaches in your coffee machine, here’s what to do.
What are cockroaches?
Cockroaches have been living on earth for hundreds of millions of years. These cold-blooded insects eat nearly anything they can to survive, from sugar to paper to dead animals, but they can live for long periods without food. They do require a source of water or moisture to survive, though, or they die quickly.
A cockroach has a flat oval body, the top of which is a shiny black or brown color. It has thin, long antennae, and the male has two pairs of wings. The German cockroach is the most common type of cockroach that infests homes in the U.S.
How do cockroaches get inside your home?
Cockroaches are resourceful insects who gain entry to your home in several ways. They often hide in the crevices of paper grocery bags and cardboard boxes you bring home and can even travel back with you from vacation in suitcases.
Cockroaches can crawl inside your house through tiny openings around doors and windows. If you live in a building with other tenants, cockroaches can move from an infested apartment into yours through pipes, drains, and other small holes in shared walls.
Are cockroaches harmful?
These insects can harm your health, especially if you find them in spaces where you eat, like the kitchen. Here are a few ways cockroaches are harmful:
- Cockroaches spread bacteria through their droppings. If cockroaches are in your kitchen, these droppings could land in your coffee machine or mugs and cause food contamination.
- Some people are allergic to the feces and saliva of cockroaches. The allergens can trigger a potentially serious asthma attack in those affected.
- Stress and anxiety can result from cockroaches infesting your home, causing panic attacks and other symptoms. Seeing cockroaches in a coffee or espresso machine is bound to cause strong feelings in anyone.
Why are there cockroaches in my coffee machine?
If you find a cockroach crawling under or near your coffee maker, chances are there are more of them — perhaps even living in your coffee machine. These insects are attracted to your coffee machine because it’s warm, moist, dark, and usually close to other foods cockroaches like to eat, such as sugar and crumbs on the counter.
Are cockroaches attracted to coffee grounds?
Because cockroaches eat just about anything, these uninvited houseguests may feed on coffee grounds. German cockroaches are attracted to the odor of ground coffee beans, although the food has no nutritional value to the insects.
H2: How to tell if you have a cockroach infestation
Some of the signs of a cockroach infestation are:
- Seeing live or dead cockroaches anywhere in your home
- Droppings that look like specks of pepper
- Foul, unusual odors
- Shedded skins or egg casings found in cupboards and other places
How to get rid of cockroaches in your coffee maker
If you discover that your coffee machine is harboring cockroaches, stop using it until the issue is addressed. Here are a few ways to get rid of cockroaches in your coffee maker:
- Take the coffee maker apart and throw away any dead cockroaches inside. Dispose of any live ones, and then place the entire machine in a clean plastic bag. Leave the machine in your freezer to get rid of any remaining insects.
- Place glue traps near your coffee maker to catch the cockroaches when they travel to and from their nesting areas.
- Keep the countertop that holds your coffee maker clean and free of crumbs. Keep any baked goods or fruits in tightly sealed containers.
- Seal any cracks or crevices that exist in the kitchen, especially around pipes.
How to keep cockroaches out of coffee makers
Using the methods detailed above will help you get cockroaches out of your coffee maker immediately, but professional pest control methods are necessary to make sure you don’t have a larger infestation on your hands.
Premium pest control services
The professionals at Hawx Pest Control have you covered when it comes to managing cockroaches. Our highly trained technicians provide excellent results, using cutting-edge tools and technologies to combat cockroaches and other pest infestations.
Call us to learn more about our treatment process, which includes a thorough home inspection and a tailored treatment plan to help keep cockroaches from coming back.