How to Get Rid of Spiders on Your Porch or Patio
March 02, 2023
By Hawx Pest Control
At Halloween, a few plastic or rubber spiders and fake webs can create a spooky scene on your porch, patio, or deck. But finding actual spiders crawling around your outdoor living spaces isn’t quite as fun. We know that spiders live outdoors and will naturally find their way to areas where humans gather outside, but that doesn’t make them any welcome on your porch.
Although many species of spiders are harmless and can help control other critters, you likely don’t want to encounter them when relaxing or entertaining friends outdoors.
How to clean away spider webs on your porch
It’s easier to get rid of spider webs on a porch, deck, or patio when there aren’t any spiders currently occupying those webs. Generally, the best approach is to wipe the area clean with a paper towel, cloth, or brush, plus water or a gentle cleaner. You may want to wear gloves to protect yourself from bites just in case there are pests you didn’t spot.
If you’re concerned about spiders around your property or coming into your home, call a professional pest control company like Hawx. Preventative services from expert technicians can lower the likelihood of spiders making your porch home in the first place.
How to keep spiders from making webs on your porch
Spiders set up shop wherever there’s a good chance of capturing prey in their webs. Try these tips to decrease the number of spider webs on your porch or patio:
- Keep the lights off: Turn off the outdoor lighting at night since outdoor lights will attract even more flying insects and, therefore, spiders.
- Clean regularly: Keep your outdoor living space clean and regularly wipe down planters, potted flowers, or outdoor furniture. Get out the broom and sweep your outdoor areas every week or two. This helps remove any current spider webs and makes it less likely that spiders will congregate.
- Declutter outdoor spaces: Keeping your patio free of clutter will give spiders fewer structural elements to build their webs between.
What can I put on my patio to keep spiders away from the patio furniture?
To keep spiders off patio furniture, consider investing in furniture covers. In between uses, you can cover up lounge chairs, club chairs, sofas, coffee tables, dining tables, dining chairs, and other outdoor furnishings. Make sure the covers you choose are tight sealing, as spiders can easily crawl through any gaps.
What attracts spiders to your porch?
Spiders are more likely to invade your patio or deck if there’s food around. Anything that attracts other insects may also draw spiders. Some things that attract spiders to an outdoor living space include:
- Lights: Outdoor lights attract flying insects, which spiders love to feast on.
- Open garbage cans: Flies may flock to garbage cans left open or not securely closed, bringing spiders with them.
- Food: Open food containers, crumbs on tables, and residues on your grill can provide food for spiders.
- Standing water: Water in puddles, flower pots, and open containers on the porch can give spiders something to drink.
- Clutter: Items stored on your porch create dark spots for spiders to hide.
- Potted plants: Many beetles and flying insects feed off of plants. If you have a container garden on your porch, patio, or deck, you’re more likely to attract food for spiders.
Spider pest control services
Our knowledgeable pest control technicians have the technology and tools needed to address spider infestations both indoors and outdoors. In addition to addressing current infestations, our expert technicians provide tips to prevent spiders on your porch or patio. The Hawx team can also recommend a treatment schedule if your infestation requires frequent maintenance.